Welcome to the 2016 CSCA Conference!
“School Counselors & Social Emotional Learning: Preparing Students with Skills for Life“
Workshop Presenter: Jim Cantoni, Author and Founder of Realizing Dreams
Location:University of New Haven – Kaplan Hall #109
March 18, 2016 from 2pm to 4pm
“We all want research-based strategies with results-based activities to support student learning that are measurable and observable.” – Jim Cantoni, Founder of Realizing Dreams and Author of 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH
Realizing Dreams Workshop Summary:
You will experience 7 steps of results-based interventions, learn-by doing, and see how I mastered engaging, equipping and empowering 94% of students to succeed; Discover what intrinsically motivates elementary to college students to take more initiative in their learning, EVEN those who are underperforming; see how urban and suburban youth are changing attitudes and behaviors creating their own life action plans for overcoming personal issues, school transitions, custody battles, life challenges of students at-risk of not graduating, preparing for college, and more. Join in this workshop and Realizing Dreams @Mission:USA2020
- Workshop Vision and Purpose
- About Realizing Dreams and 10 Things about Jim Cantoni, Realizing Dreams Founder and Author
- About You – What are your struggles, pain points and dreams for student success?
- What insight and tools will you receive from this workshop?
- How urban and suburban youth are developing self-efficacy Life Skill Assets™ inspiring them to reach their potential
- Lessons Learned
- How we can help empower students through our collective impact
About Realizing Dreams our Vision and Purpose:
Realizing Dreams helps you improve life outcomes by applying “Predictors of Success” with Einstein and Edison inspired and infused solutions Together, our goal is addressing and solving many of America’s greatest challenges and chronic issues in education, health and income through our collective impact.
Our Process: Research-based activities with results-based outcomes=Student Success
The BIG Question…
- Engaging students in self-discovery so they answer “The Big Questions” in their lives.
- Equipping students with emotional intelligence self-efficacy Life Skill Assets™ increasing student confidence.
- Empowering student achievement as well as their success and your success as educators and school counselors.
- Making school counselors days easier by helping engage students in student-centered enrichment for social and emotional learning, equipping students with self-efficacy Life Skill Assets™ and empowering students to work through life challenges and opportunities so they reach their potentional and be the best they can be for self-actualization.
- Synchronizing generations and transforming lives by putting everybody on the same page with research-based “Predictors of Success”.
10 Things About Jim Cantoni
- Naugatuck High School Class of ‘78
- Central Connecticut State University ’83
- MBA from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute ’91
- Founder of Realizing Dreams
- Author of 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset
- Patented Inventor of Illuminated House Numbers
- Creator of:
- 15+ Einstein inspired and infused emotional intelligence teaching strategies and self-efficacy formulas for a growth mindset and exponential achievement in school, work, health, life and play
- 8 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUR Schools, Families and Communities
- The New Math of Health™ and the My Body Balance T-Chart™ solving the mystery of acne, arthritis, acid reflux to weight gain and lots more and in between
- Resilient and overcame many obstacles in his life – car accidents, boating accidents, work injuries and multiple health challenges
- Grows garlic and kale, love to throw and teach others how to throw the Frisbee
- Lives in Glastonbury, CT with his wife Jackie and their two boys James, Jr. and Nathan
- Experience 7 steps of research-based activities for results-based interventions improving student success
- Learn-by doing, and see how I mastered engaging, equipping and empowering 94% of students to exponentially succeed
- Discover at least 7 Einstein inspired and infused teaching strategies and self-efficacy formulas for a growth mindset and exponential achievement in school, work, health life and play.
- “Me and the 9 Self’s” Teaching Strategies for a Social and Emotional Intelligence framework for self-awareness to self-actualization. Page roman numeral “v” in 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset
- Learn how to collect results-based data, have student’s help measure the impact to support your student’s and school’s success. Including student’s presenting to you, your administrators, parents, families, and/or school boards:
- What did we accomplish?
- Are we better off?
You will see how urban and suburban youth are:
- Developing self-efficacy Life Skill Assets™ inspiring them to reach their potential
- Sparking Aha! Moments, discovering their passion and dreaming BIG dreams
- Changing attitudes and behaviors to make better choices
- Creating their own life action plans for overcoming personal issues and life challenges
- Empowering school transitions
- Custody battles
- Students at-risk of not graduating
- Preparing for college
- and more, including dreaming Olympic Size dreams
The Key to Student Success?
- Helping students figure out who they are – self-awareness
- What they want to do – passion in life
- How they are going to get there – grit and a growth mindset
How? Just like we helped these students with
A future pediatrician creating GETTING SMARTR™ goals
What insight and tools will you receive from this workshop?
Educators, Counselors, Mentors, Parents and Caring Adults gain:
- Social and emotional insight on what intrinsically motivates elementary to college students to take more initiative in their learning in performing and EVEN those who are underperforming.
- How to personalize learning and wrap-around further student supports to support student success plans
- A few of my life lessons learned over the last 55+ years
What will you receive?
You will receive tools that show you how to further empower your students’ and your success, including:
- 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset
- Positive Pen™ to create the postive effect
- Dream Tag™ to identify students strengths, passion and dreams in life
- Self-Assessment and Progress Measurement Survey for results based data to empower your student sucess plans
If you want to better engage your school-family-community partnerships, get all 8 Steps EMPOWERING YOUR Schools, Families and Communities. This includes the My Declaration of Independence™ where students make a promise to do the best in their lives and our community building and national award winning cooperative game called Teamwork and FamilyPlay™.
How many students and what group sizes can you engage?
Depending on the student needs, you can engage students with mentoring one-on-one, in small to large groups. It can be a 5, 10 to 30 minutes a day or week, in-school, whenever you can fit it in – during a Study Hall, Health or English class – after-school or extended learning times, in a school-family-community partnership. You can always invite me in for our empower in an hour workshops.
What are a few lessons learned?
- As one lesson learned, if over a handful of students, be sure to pair performing students with underperforming. This includes separating students who may be distracted easily and not have the focus yet, anyway. Be sure to praise their efforts in both taking a leadership role and completing the activities together, afterall, life is better when we are realizng dreams in teams!
- Another lesson I learned is that after the first engagement, usually in minutes, based on what students are writing – or not writing, yet, you will be able to identify and better support students who are at different levels of learning, whether they are performing to standards or not yet at standards.
- As educators,
counselors, mentors, parents and caring adults you will gain social and emotional intelligence insight after the students complete their Dream Tag™, 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH and their self-assessment and progress measurement survey. In minutes you will clearly see how to unlock our young people’s potential to be the best they can be.
- You can use the thoughts and feeling of what your student’s expressed in writing in their self-discovery action journal to create your individualized plan to support your their social and emotional growth and success. I think you will find that your student success plans would be more empowering if you include other students leading and empowering students in the 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH growth mindset activities – including and especially building confidence in the underperforming students by giving them a leadership role in empowering other younger and even older students in realizing each others dreams!
- Any for you, the educator, school counselor, parent, mentor or caring adult – you may ALSO find 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH helpful in realizing your dreams like many adults have too.
The GPS for Student Success™
All too often, school and life gets busy and the remarkable educators are the ones who find a way HOW to create an ongoing plan to continue engaging, equipping and empowering students with 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset.
What do the next steps look after the student empowerment?
Your next steps would be empowering your students by have them continue the self-discovey activities in this student-centered action journal and the GPS for student success. Your plan would ideally include sharing the interests, hopes, ambitions, goals and your students dreams in life with their parents, extended families and caring adults. Be sure to especially share this insight with their teachers – in their current grade and their next grades – to empower school transitions and everyone’s collective impact in your student’s success!
The BIG Questions
- How do you see this at your school?
- What can I do to support your student success?
Thank you for joining me in this Realizing Dreams student and school counselor empowerment workshop, 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: “51 to 91” Motivating the Unmotivated.
Please contact me if I can help in any way or just give me call at 860.657.0770. Be sure to let me know, “What is your dream for student success?”.