7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset by Jim Cantoni includes quick and self-explanatory instructions with two page research-based activities for results-based outcomes to help you unleash potential in students. Since 2013, 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset is helping unlock the potential in thousands of students ages 4 to 24+. It is helping our young people discover what motivates them to succeed in school, work and life:
- Step-by-step strategies that help students answer “The BIG Questions” in their lives
- Opens communication and gives our young people a voice and choice in their lives
- Builds confidence by Sparking “Aha!” Moments
- Students discover their passion, dream BIG dreams and create action plans to realize their dreams
- Educators, counselors, mentors, parents and caring adults learn innovating teaching strategies to create better connections with students. By doing so, they gain insight for personalizing learning based on what motivates students to reach their potential.
Includes research-based activities with powerful GETTING SMARTR™ Goal Setting (S.M.A.R.T goals to the next level) with visualization for results-based outcomes.
- 94% critically thought about and planned their futures
- 89% percent improved their decision-making and emotional intelligence with our growth-mindset and self-efficacy formulas
- 94% identified, set and learned how to achieve GETTING SMARTR™ Goals and now clearly see their path to successful futures
It’s really self-explanatory! You control the amount of time. Enrichment activities range from 2 minutes to 90 minutes
Step 1: Ask students to open the inside front cover and complete their Dream Tag™. If you want powerful interaction, ask students to “Turn-and-Talk” and share their favorite subject and dreams in life.
Next, tell students to go to Page 1, CONGRATULATE them as they already completed Step 1! Now, invite students to just climb the 7 Steps! You will see that Page 1 is a two page spread that looks like the front and back covers.
Tips for Educators and Caring Adults to gain insight what motivates students to reach their potential:
- Assist any early readers – we even have Pre-k 4 years olds learning and writing about Trust and Teamwork by just looking at the illustrations
- See and reflect on what students are writing about and wrap-around your supports based on our young peoples:
- Self-created plans to overcome their fears and worries in life
- Personalize learning based on the action plans your students created
Want to measure their progress and even have students self-assess and learn how to collect data and tally the results? Ask about our Pre and Post Progress Self-Assessment and Measurement Surveys.
For Step 7, students are invited to join in Realizing Dreams MISSION:USA 2020. Our big hairy audacious goal is by 2020, engage, equip and empower 90% of America’s youth with self-awareness, GRIT and a growth mindset to reach their full potential. We invite you to join in too!
You can use 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH to:
- Personalize Learning and Empower School Transitions elementary 5th to 6th grade, middle school 8th to 9th grade and high school to college
- Student-Led Activities for Peer Advisory and Youth Leadership
- After School and Extended Learning Time Programs with relevant student-centered enrichment activities
- Health Class and Language Arts Social and Emotional Learning and Enrichment Programming
- Guidance and School Counselor Planning Sessions
- Improve understanding, communication and relationships in guidance, mentoring and career counseling.
- Quickly and more easily getting the conversation started with students about their futures
- Youth Service Bureaus for Juvenile Justice, Truancy, Prevention and Positive Youth Development Programs
- Summer Camp, Staff Training and CIT’s and Counselor Team Building and Leadership Development Activities
- Gifted Students Enrichment and Leadership Development Programming
- Supporting Family Engagement and Parent Involvement in your School-Family-Community Partnerships including your PTA / PTA Family Reading and Fun Nights so that every students succeeds
- Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day and give students a powerful keepsake action journal to take home and remember your company as the place that sparked the AHA! Moments where they discovered their passion, dreamed BIG dreams and created their life action plan to realize their BIG dreams
- Increase freshman retention and success by discovering what motivates high school and college students, especially incoming freshmen and students who may need help in finding direction in life
- Staff Professional Development – Developing a Growth Mindset with professional development that transfers right on to the students. Since 2013, in training thousands of students and staff, we have found that when completing 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset with students and staff side-by-side, educators like the self-explanatory activities and students expressing and writing their thoughts and feelings about their future. The outcome also inspires, changes and develops a growth mindset in teachers, counselors, mentors and caring adults.
We all want data to measure the impact and results. Do you need help in putting together enrichment programing to make it easier to complete your state mandated Student Success Plans? Contact us or give us a call at 860.657.0770. Just let us know, “What is your Dream for Student Success?”.
7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH: Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset is a research and results-based action journal and practical tool with strategies and effective supports for national standards and programs including:
- School Districts Student Success Plans
- The Every Student Succeeds Act
- Whole Child
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Association of School Counselors (ASCA) Mindsets and Behaviors and ASCA RAMP
- Career, College Readiness and Military Service
- College Prep
- Family Engagement and Parental Involvement
- Promise Neighborhoods
- Closing the Achievement Gap
- Peer Advisory
- Youth Leadership
- Positive Youth Development Programs
- Youth Service Bureaus Enrichment
- Summer Camp Staff, Counselors and Counselors In Training (CIT’s) Leadership Development
Have questions on how it aligns to National Standards? Contact us or give us a call at 860-657-0770.
- “We all want to put our young people on a path to successful futures.” Jim Cantoni, Author and Founder of Realizing Dreams
- “I learned what I want to do. It helped me plan for my future.”~ Tara, Age 14
- “I know more that will help me in the future that I wish I knew before.”~ Sarah, Age 14
- “It taught me about myself and how to plan how to be more successful in life.”~Nathan, Age 15
- “It helps kids realize their self-worth and puts them on a path to successful futures.”~ Cara, School Business Partnership Coordinator
- “Helped me be more confident in my future.” ~ TJ, teenager
- “I liked it because it made me feel like I have something more to do to succeed in life – like I need to keep pushing forward no matter what.” ~ Ullyses, teenager
- “This will make me never give up.” ~ Andrew, eight years old
- “In his 7 Steps for Empowering Youth, Jim Cantoni gives you practical and easy ways to engage in some of the most important self-discovery conversations you’ll ever have – those with your children that create learning.” ~ Dr. Joni Samples, Retired School Superintendent
The Therory of Our Purpose in Life – IPO to the Second Power by Jim Cantoni, Author of 7 Steps for EMPOWERING YOUTH:Self-Awareness Developing GRIT and a Growth Mindset and Founder of Realizing Dreams.us